Research IT is available to help researchers working with sensitive data. The combined approach of providing data management and computation support helps researchers integrate data management best practices into their larger research workflows while protecting their data. Expert consultants from Research IT and our partners provide support and guidance to help researchers make the best use of the SRDC Platform.
SRDC Platform update July 2020: Research IT and our partners are pleased to introduce the SRDC Platform, a new campus service designed for researchers working with highly sensitive data. This environment is available now, and additional capabilities including a secure High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster and secure storage will be available in the coming months. The SRDC Platform provides a baseline amount of capacity at no cost to campus researchers thanks to strategic support from campus leadership. Through a coalition of partners from across campus, the SRDC platform has been designed and built for a broad range of researchers.
Thanks to the hard work of our team and partners, we are happy to share these additional details:
- SRDC Virtual Machines (VM) is launched!
- Early adopters are using SRDC Windows-based VMs, and we invite campus researchers to contact us about their projects.
- The platform is approved by campus for data classified as P4 according to the campus Data Classification Standard.
- SRDC HPC and VM Phase 2 status
- Purchases of other equipment are complete. The current plan is to begin building the SRDC HPC and large data storage system in September and, allowing us to work with HPC early adopters in the fall.
- System Security Plan, policies and procedures)
- The project team is hard at work on the system security plan and associated policies and procedures that are required.
- This effort has been informed by our engagements with a professional cybersecurity consulting firm, the Information Security Office, and with Trusted CI (the NSF Cybersecurity Center of Excellence.
- The Trusted CI engagement has been completed (final report and blog post).
- Business Model drafted
- Like our other Research IT services, the SRDC Platform will include a basic Faculty Allowance for compute and storage. Researchers will also be able to purchase compute and storage to help grow the capacity of the system. More details will be available soon.
- Related efforts
- We are expanding our pool of consultants who have expertise providing specialized consulting related to sensitive research data.
- We are working with our partners on campus to streamline and clarify the processes for reviewing data use agreements and security plans.
- We are working with our partners to publish a website that will document the resources on campus for researchers working with sensitive data.
The Savio HPC cluster and our AEoD Virtual Machine service are both approved for moderately sensitive data, classified as P2 or P3 according to the UC Berkeley Data Classification Standard.
Also, the Savio HPC cluster and our AEoD Virtual Machine service are both approved for moderately sensitive data, classified as P2 or P3 according to the UC Berkeley Data Classification Standard.
The SRDC Project is informed by our broader assessment of the challenges faced by researchers working with highly sensitive data. With our partners, we are focusing our efforts in three areas: tools and services, consulting and community, policy and governance: