(Research IT's Patrick Schmitz summarizes Cloud Computing and Consulting Support - notwithstanding the thumbnail image displayed here - from the Berkeley Research Computing Town Hall meeting on May 28, 2015.)
About the Cloud Consulting services
Berkeley Research Computing (BRC) Cloud Consulting services identify cloud resources that are well-matched to the needs of UC Berkeley researchers, and facilitate access to those resources.
Cloud resources may be provided by external vendors (such as Amazon, Google, or Microsoft), national centers (such as XSEDE or NERSC), or by BRC itself. There is no cost to researchers for these consulting services, within manageable limits.
Here's what you can expect from the BRC Cloud consultants:
Engage with researchers to match requirements with appropriate cloud resources
- Review computing and data requirements for research uses to identify where those uses translate well to cloud resources.
- Assist researchers in identifying the set of cloud services that efficiently and effectively address their computational and storage requirements.
- Simplify the use of commonly used software stacks across multiple cloud platforms.
- Provide documentation, training, guidance, and referrals for translating commonly-encountered computing requirements into patterns suited for efficient and cost-effective use of cloud resources for instruction and research.
- Help researchers working with sensitive data identify whether and how they can appropriately work with that data on cloud resources.
Facilitate access to cloud resources
- Assist researchers in obtaining provider grants.
- Provide support for incorporating cloud computing resource costs into funding proposals.
- Publish documentation and provide consulting to help researchers benefit from campus contracts and guidelines.
- Assist researchers to manage costs and/or transfer times for moving data to and from cloud resources.
Automate cloud provisioning
- Provide automated provisioning scripts, ‘best practices’ examples, documentation, and consulting to support integrations with cloud providers that address specific types of campus research and instruction.
- Allow PIs to conveniently manage, and delegate the management of, cloud provider accounts to postdocs, graduate student researchers (GSRs), or others.
- Allow instructors to conveniently manage, and delegate the management of, cloud provider accounts to graduate student instructors (GSIs) or others.
- Help PIs and instructors to control and gain clearer insights into cloud costs via billing alerts, mechanisms to limit unintended overages, and best practices documentation.
We welcome Berkeley faculty, staff, postdocs, and grad students at all levels of expertise to schedule time with our consultants, even at the very earliest stages of your research, for any size computational requirements you may have. Our standard consulting services are free of charge.
Please email us at the following address, and include the following in your request: a brief description of your project, a concise overview of the software and data you're using, and a summary of what stage you are at in your research process.